From the time of its founding in 2000, the Luz Saúde Group has built up of an integrated network that includes hospitals, outpatient clinics and residential healthcare facilities, as well as different types of senior residences.
- Luz Saúde was established in 2000, under the name of Espírito Santo Saúde. In the same year, it acquired a majority share in Clíria - Hospital Privado de Aveiro and in Hospital da Arrábida, Vila Nova de Gaia.
- In 2002, Luz Saúde (then Espírito Santo Saúde) started managing, in partnership with other entities, Hospital da Misericórdia de Évora.
- In December 2003, the construction of Complexo Integrado de Saúde da Luz began, including Hospital da Luz and Casas da Cidade - Residências Sénior.
- In 2004, Clíria - Centro Médico de Águeda started its activity and Clube de Repouso Casa dos Leões was fully integrated in Luz Saúde (then Espírito Santo Saúde).
- In July of the same year, started the construction of Hospital do Mar, in Loures council.
- In May 2005, started the construction of Hospital da Luz - Clínica de Oeiras (former Clínica Parque dos Poetas), in Oeiras.
- In 2006, Hospital do Mar opened and Luz Saúde (then Espírito Santo Saúde) acquired the totality of the share capital of IRIO - Instituto de Radioterapia.
- In March of the same year, Luz Saúde (then Espírito Santo Saúde) acquired the totality of the share capital of Hospor, including two hospitals – Hospital de Santiago, in Setúbal, and Clipóvoa - Hospital Privado, in Póvoa de Varzim, besides three outpatient clinics - Clínica de Cerveira, Clínica de Amarante and Clínica do Porto.
- In 2007, Hospital da Luz, in Lisbon, and Hospital da Luz - Clínica de Oeiras (former Clínica Parque dos Poetas) started their activity.
- In 2008, Hospital de Santiago renewed one of its inpatient floors.
- In 2009, Casas da Cidade - Residências Sénior and Hospital da Luz - Centro Clínico da Amadora opened their doors.
- Clíria – Clínica de Oiã was acquired in the same year.
- At the end of the year, in the scope of the Public-Private Partnership Program, a management contract for Hospital Beatriz Ângelo, located in Loures council, was signed.
- In 2010, Hospital da Arrábida, in Gaia, doubled its capacity with new areas of ambulatory surgery and differentiated inpatient units, including a new maternity unit. Clíria - Hospital Privado was also extensively renovated and began operating at its second location, doubling its ambulatory care offer.
- In Póvoa de Varzim, Clipóvoa - Hospital Privado continued its renovation process, involving inpatient, surgery and maternity areas. Hospital de Santiago completed the renovation of the urgent care service.
- In January 2010, took place the first stone laying ceremony for Hospital Beatriz Ângelo.
- In 2011, there was great emphasis on the preparation for Hospital Beatriz Ângelo opening, with the completion of all the finishing work, as well as the structuring of all hospital processes and the recruiting of medical and non-medical staff.
- Hospital da Luz celebrated 5 years of activity and inaugurated a new outpatient paediatric unit.
- Hospital de Santiago opened a new area dedicated do dentistry.
- The year 2011 was also marked by the recognition of Luz Saúde (then Espírito Santo Saúde), which was granted the Excellence at Work Award.
- Hospital Beatriz Ângelo started its activity in January 19, with the opening of Paediatrics and Dermatology consultations. Thus, started functioning the first Luz Saúde (then Espírito Santo Saúde) unit operating on a public-private partnership regime. The opening process was completed on February 27, when the General Emergency Service started its activity.
- In March 2012, Hospital do Mar initiated expansion works to respond to the high demand on differentiated services. In July, Clíria - Clínica de Oiã began its remodelling process. Hospital de Santiago renewed its areas of orthopaedics and ophthalmology consultations.
- Hospital da Luz was awarded the Valmor Prize 2007.
- In 2013, the expansion of Hospital do Mar and the renewal process of Clíria - Clínica de Oiã were completed. Hospital de Santiago renewed its main entrance and reception areas.
- Clínica Parque dos Poetas was rebranded as Hospital da Luz - Clínica de Oeiras.
- Hospital da Luz received for the third consecutive year the award of Best Company in the Healthcare Sector granted by Exame magazine in partnership with Informa D&B and Deloitte.
- Hospital Beatriz Ângelo obtained international quality accreditation by Joint Commission International (JCI).
- In 2014, the new area from Hospital do Mar and the renewed area from Clíria – Clínica de Oiã opened to the public.
- In February, Luz Saúde (then Espírito Santo Saúde) entered officially in the stock market, through an initial public offering, becoming the first private company in the health sector to be traded in Euronext Lisbon.
- In October, after a highly competitive process of public offer acquisition, Fidelidade – Companhia de Seguros, S.A. acquired 96% of Espírito Santo Saúde shares, thus becoming its new majority shareholder. At the time, the new name was announced: Luz Saúde. This acquisition intended to guarantee the continuity of the project, maintaining its identity by means of an autonomous brand.
- In March 2015, Hospital da Luz opened to the public its extended parking lot, which represented a doubling of car places available.
- In July, Luz Saúde acquired 100% of HME social capital, the society managing Hospital da Misericórdia de Évora.
- In November, started the works of expansion of Hospital da Luz – Clínica de Oeiras.
- In December, Hospor acquired a property in Vila Real with the purpose of developing a new health unit to reinforce the presence of Grupo Luz Saúde in the North of the country.
- In 2016, Luz Saúde concentrates its areas of business in three main brands: Hospital da Luz (by then with five hospitals and nine clinics), Hospital do Mar Cuidados Especializados (Lisboa and Gaia) and Casas da Cidade Residências Sénior (Lisboa and Carnaxide).
- In January, Hospital Privado de Guimarães and Clihotel de Gaia start to be explored by Hospital da Luz Guimarães, S.A., being renamed as Hospital da Luz Guimarães and Hospital do Mar Cuidados Especializados de Gaia, respectively.
- The works of expansion of Hospital da Luz Lisboa are initiated aiming at an 80% increase of capacity.
- At Hospital da Luz Clínica de Oeiras, expansion works continued, in order to double its capacity and widen the range of clinical competences, with opening expected in 2017.
- At Hospital da Luz Arrábida, the works of adaptation of a new ambulatory area expanding the unit are concluded, with opening expected in January 2017.
- Also in 2016, Grupo Luz Saúde opened an ambulatory unit in Vila Real and acquired a clinic in Odivelas for the development of an ambulatory unit in that area.
- In 2017, Luz Saúde acquired Clínica de Santa Catarina and Policlínica do Caniço, in Madeira Island, and the British Hospital, in Lisbon.
- Works were initiated in the new ambulatory clinic in Odivelas – Hospital da Luz Clínica de Odivelas –, expected to open in January 2018.
- The works of expansion of Hospital da Luz Oeiras were concluded, the new area being opened to the public, and the renewal and reorganization of services in the original facilities were initiated, namely in the area destined to inpatient.
- In January 12th 2018, Hospital da Luz Clínica de Odivelas started its activity, a new outpatient clinic in Odivelas.
- In March, Luz Saúde acquired the totality of the share capital of Grupo Idealmed, including one hospital Idealmed UHC – Unidade Hospitalar de Coimbra, besides four outpatient clinics located in the centre of Coimbra, Figueira da Foz, Pombal and Cantanhede.
- The Hospital da Luz Vila Real moves to the new facilities in the center of the town, offering a wider range of health care services, namely inpatient, surgery and urgent care.
- In October, Hospital da Luz Lagoas Park started its activity